There are two types of infertility programmes available at PinPoint Health Centre that cover both functional and physiological issues:
- Fertility support with IVF
- Natural fertility support without IVF
Infertility is commonly thought of as a female problem, but it is actually caused by both male and female factors. Statistics have shown that 30% of cases are male related, 35% are female related and 35% are deemed unexplained infertility. In many cases both partners may be contributing to their infertility. Therefore a thorough examination by a specialist is deemed important if pregnancy does not take place within 12 months of trying.
Easily treated illnesses or lifestyle habits that may contribute to infertility are:
- Heavy use of alcohol, tobacco or drugs.
- Starvation diets or anorexia in the woman.
- Tight underwear or pants in the man, which raises the crotch temperature and reduces sperm count.
- Stress. In a woman, this may cause her periods to be irregular. In a man, stress may reduce his sperm count.
- Couples who are having difficulty conceiving but are not yet ready to try IVF
- Couples wanting to prepare naturally with natural medicine
- Couples for whom IVF has failed or is not appropriate or an option
- Couples preparing themselves for pregnancy or to go with IVF
- Couples who wish to give themselves every chance at a successful full term pregnancy.
TCM Categories of infertility:
- Kidney deficiency
- Heart and Liver Stagnation
Both are indicators of Functional Abnormality
Categories of Functional infertility include:
- Problems with ovulation
- Problems of embryo implantation
- Blood Stagnation ) indication of Poly Cystic Ovarian
- Phlegm Damp Obstruction ) Syndrome or Endometriosis
There is a different emphasis between TCM and IVF:
- Quality of eggs
- Number and motility of sperm
- Quality of endometrium
- Endless treatment variations
- Quantity of eggs
- Thickness of endometrium
- Few protocol variations
TCM can contribute to a good outcome in an IVF cycle by:
- Increasing response (and reduce FSH levels if these are elevated)
- Increasing oestrogen levels if these are low
- Enhancing follicle/egg quality
- Increasing follicle/egg quantity
- Improving sperm vitality
- Relieving side effects of drugs
- Increasing endometrium thickness where it is too thin and
- Increasing implantation rate